Fantasy Baseball: 2 Start Pitchers: Week of 5/23
This will only include stats through Saturday (posted Sunday), in order to give you ample time to get your weekly lineups in.
Abbreviated update this week, but will fill in the stats later.
Now onto the next week….
1. Dan Haren (OAK, MIN) – In the year of the pitcher part deux, I have a strange feeling the next no-no comes this week from Haren (ERA: 1.84, WHIP: .85)
2. Jered Weaver (OAK,MIN) – Same strong matchup ratings apply for Weaver against two weaker lineups, if you’re in a league that just picks PS – it’s the Angels this week (ERA: 2.45, WHIP: .98)
3. Justin Verlander (TB, BOS) – He’s facing some pretty hot teams in this upcoming week, but he’s almost pitched two no-no’s and will continue to do well. (ERA: 2.96, WHIP: .92)
4. Clayton Kershaw (@HOU, FLA) – Kershaw got rattled against the Giants last week, but he’s growing to be a strong pitcher, and strong pitchers rebound from bad starts. (ERA: 3.09, WHIP: 1.22)
5. Yovani Gallardo (WAS, SF) – Nice matchups and some home cooking should continue to prove well for Gallardo who’s given up 4 ER in his past 4 starts. (ERA: 4.70, WHIP: 1.48)
1. Ryan Dempster (NYM, PIT) – He started off slow, but is now getting into his groove. He faces two winnable games at home, and should be a good spot start. (ERA: 6.91, WHIP 1.57)
2. Bartolo Colon (TOR, @SEA) – Who thought he would be filling in so well at the back end of the Yanks rotation? Two possible wins next week. (ERA: 3.16, WHIP: 1.13)
3. Jason Vargas (@MIN, NYY) – He was #1 on the sleeper list last week, and all he did was throw two shutouts, so umm why is he only 11% owned? (ERA: 3.39, WHIP: 1.20)
4. Vance Worley (CIN, @NYM) – Phillies rushed Blanton and look what good it did, sent him back to the DL, you should be able to use Worley for a few weeks (ERA: 1.13, WHIP: .94)
5. Carl Pavano (SEA, LAA) – The veteran starter for the Twins has come around in his last few starts, and facing the Mariners/Angels will be a good test to see if his success continues (ERA: 5.30, WHIP: 1.42)
Shoot me pitching questions or topics to discuss for future postings via twitter @EightGamesBack